at my cash register
- a few tourists still trying to get back to Europe.
- several Australians whose flights to Europe were cancelled, and are vacationing in the States instead.
- le monsieur from Paris, France who complemented me on my French, and my nice accent. Moi?
- a gentleman from Calcutta, who told me I give good customer service. Thank you.
- a Thai woman who tried to explain why the last 3 letters in her surname – “Punyaratbundhu” – were mute. If the word ends in “dhu“, it’s like the silent ‘e’ in English. I think.
- Natasha’s Iranian Father taught her, “There is no such thing as perfect happiness. You have to be ‘happy’ without it“; and asked her every day, “Did you touch any souls today?” She touched mine.